September 01, 2015

Powdered of Course

No idea what's going on? Try here!



I really wish I had the exact quote- but the general gist is...

"Scrambled eggs.... just powdered of course". 

Of course the scrambled eggs are made from powder. They're made from chickpea flour (or gram or besan flour). The best type of powder for making scrambled eggs. 

The actual comment was due to the rationing - eggs were rationed during WW2 (along with pretty much everything else) and so scrambled eggs would of been made with some sort of weird chemically manufactured powdered stuff. I like the sound of chickpea flour better- don't you? Plus- chickpea flour is cheaper. Perfect for a student (12 days till I go!!) 

So... here is eggs for breakfast... but "powdered of course.". 

Scrambled "Eggs"
Serves 1

This recipe has evolved from several that I have found over the years, but mainly this one, that I then adapted to suit me better. 

  • 1/4 cup chickpea flour
  • 1/2 cup plant milk (I would use the 1/4 cup twice- it saves on the washing up)
  • 1 Tablespoon of Nutritional Yeast
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder 
  • 1/8 teaspoon of turmeric (optional- but it makes it prettier)

  • Whisk all the ingredients together in a jug which is easy to pour from (because I have never got mixture all over the counter and the hob because I tried to pour it out of a bowl)
  • Heat some oil in a frying pan and pour the mixture in
  • Now- I haven't really got the hang of this bit. I have found that the best way to make scrambles is to make it like your making an omelet and then break it up into 'scrambles'. But I have found that even if you are going to try and 'scramble' it properly- it's better to leave it alone until it is at least partially set. Because there is considerably less risk of food poisoning- it doesn't matter if it's totally cooked or not- although the chickpea flour tastes bitter if it isn't cooked through (because I've never done that either!) Either way you decided to cook your scrambles- you possibly want it a little less cooked than if you were making an omelet (which you can also do with this mixture). 
  • Serve in a bowl or on toast. Or any other way you want to eat your scrambles. It's not that bad cold as part of a packed lunch. Especially with some cold vegan sausages and red sauce. 

2 comments:

  1. Happy Vegan MoFo! LOVE this idea! Can't wait to see what else you come up with this month!

    http://MyBlissfulJourney.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let's hope that I haven't peaked too early then!!!!!

      Delete